Remember that whole apple dessert for breakfast thing?
It’s become a more than just a Friday thing.
I’ve always loved oats. Not hard to do when your two favorite toppings are butter and brown sugar. But in all my oatmeal life I have never made an oatmeal variety so. many. times. It started with days, and moved to weeks, and I’m now going on a month of this deliciously cozy breakfast.
I think that qualifies as an obsession.
And here’s a little secret. Sometimes I curl up with a blanket and completely ignore my dinner plans and make this instead. Woops. I guess obsession might be an understatement.
PS. Grated apples are my new favorite thing – they add natural sweetness and a great texture! Yum.
PSS. There’s bran in there. It’s healthy.
PSSS. There’s butter and brown sugar in there, too. It’s healthy for your soul.
- 1 small to medium apple, grated (large, not too fine)
- ⅓ cup oats
- ¼ cup bran cereal (All Bran or Raisin Bran)
- 1 cup water
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- additional butter, sugar, milk or honey for topping
- Cook the oats with the water and salt in the microwave for 1:30.
- Add the bran and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add grated apple and cinnamon. Microwave another 20 seconds if it’s not warm enough for you (I like mine hot)! Stir in the brown sugar.
- Top with butter, honey, cream or any combination of toppings that you like!
I promise I won’t always post apple things on Fridays.
What I really mean by that is that I want you to tell me how much you love apples too so that I can give myself permission to keep making sweet apple things. Please?