This root vegetable stew is a perfect vegetarian recipe for staying warm and cozy. Yukon potatoes, rutabaga, turnips, cream, and rosemary. Yum.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled Yukon gold potato (about 1 pound)
- 2 1/4 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled rutabaga (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled turnip
- 1 1/4 cups (3/4-inch) diced peeled parsnip (I used carrots instead!)
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cheese of choice (I used sliced Swiss)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and 2 teaspoons rosemary; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in potato and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a simmer; cook, covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place 3 cups vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid; secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid. Blend until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in cream, pepper, and salt.
- Preheat broiler, top with cheese, and broil until soft and melty!