|Baked Spicy Fries with Garlic Cheese Sauce|
Author: Pinch of Yum
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 7-8 medium Idaho baking potatoes
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1½ teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- coarse sea salt to taste
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- a splash of milk
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 ounce good quality shredded cheese of choice (I used a sharp white French cheese... honestly I can't remember the name! woops.)
- Preheat the oven to 430.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut them into french-fry sized strips - about ¾ inches wide. Pour egg whites over fries, pour seasonings over fries, and stir to combine.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper over each baking sheet (I used 2 baking sheets). Scoop the potatoes onto the parchment paper. Do not dump the whole bowl out because there will be some leftover egg whites in the bottom of the bowl and you don't want that on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, take the baking sheets out and remove the parchment paper and slide the fries directly onto the baking sheet. They should slide off easily. Bake for another 5-8 minutes; remove from oven and stir, being careful to keep the shape of the fries. Continue this (bake, stir, bake, stir) until the fries have a puffy golden brown outside that is dry to the touch. They should be a little crispy but soft on the inside. Total bake time will be about 25-35 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce, melt the cream cheese in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Whisk in the milk, garlic, seasoning salt, and oil until smooth. When smooth, add the cheese. Melt for another 20-30 seconds and whisk again until totally smooth, adding more milk to thin out the sauce to your desired consistency. Pour over fries and enjoy!
I used a microwave for the sauce because I was short on time, but you could also use a regular saucepan on a stovetop.
Recipe by Pinch of Yum at http://pinchofyum.com/baked-spicy-fries-with-garlic-cheese-sauce