|Kabocha Squash Lentil Curry|
Author: Pinch of Yum
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 2 cups dry brown lentils
- 4-5 cups peeled, cubed kabocha or Japanese red squash (half of one large squash)
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1½ tablespoon Massaman red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (optional)
- Greek yogurt and rice for serving
- Cook the lentils in a large pot of boiling water for 20-30 minutes. When lentils are tender, drain excess water and set aside. If making ahead, store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter. Add squash and vegetable broth. Let simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until squash is softened. Transfer the entire mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return to pan and add curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, salt, cayenne, cinnamon, and coconut milk. Stir or whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add cooked lentils and tomatoes. Let simmer together for 10-20 minutes and serve over rice, topped with Greek yogurt.
Makes about six 1 cup servings.
Recipe by Pinch of Yum at http://pinchofyum.com/kabocha-squash-lentil-curry