Let me tell you what’s powered up. Me getting half of my report cards done more than a week ahead of time. That right there is powered up.
But in order to help you fully appreciate the sticky brown sugary yet wholesome goodness of this breakfast that somehow makes you a superperson for the day, let’s back up.
To the night before. It’s 11:00pm, and Bjork and I are getting ready for bed. And maybe it’s more like 9:00 pm, but whatever.
Enter pug-sitting dilemma.
No, it’s not playtime.
Yes, I’m serious.
…Yes, the kennel.
So these must be puppy dog eyes, then.
Us – 0. Josie the pug – 1.
We’re in for trouble if this scenario was any indication of what our parenting will be like. Hello Mr. and Mrs. Push Over.
And hello bleary-eyed morning power pug walk.
And hellohh dreamy creamy spicy warm powered up oatmeal loaded with fiber, protein, and wholesomeness. I’m not really sure what wholesomeness is but it tastes amazing sprinkled with brown sugary crumbles. Messy overflowing bowl? I can deal.
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup fiber or bran cereal (i.e. Fiber One original)
- 1 cup water or milk
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup egg whites, beaten
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- pumpkin pie spices, to taste (I use cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and allspice)
- cream, milk, or evaporated milk optional
- Combine oats, cereal, water or milk, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil until and stir until mixture starts to thicken slightly.
- With one hand, pour in the egg whites and stir continuously with the other hand (if you don’t, the egg whites will get scrambled, which is not yummy).
- Mix in pumpkin, sugar, and seasoning and heat until warmed through. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
OK, I promise not to post any more pug pictures, except for possibly 4-7 more.
And now’s the part where you go make this for breakfast every day for the rest of your life, which is what I already do, and, well, it rocks. Seriously. Yum.