Today is the day. The day that I stop living out of a suitcase. And stop going out to eat 4 times a day. And start doing my hair again.
It’s time to go back to a little place called work. Because kids need to learn, and I need to be productive. Which includes doing my hair.
To the average person, summer school might seem like a curse. Teachers are supposed to have summers off, right?!
(I have now typed teacher’s about 4 times. This is a telltale sign that teacher’s such as myself should definitely not have the summer off.)
But I have a little secret for you: I love teaching summer school!
If nothing else, it gives me 20 good little 8-year-old reasons to splurge on that double shot espresso drink. Size grande.
But after the double shot espresso, you better believe I keep my eyes on the true prize. Because prizes work for motivating adults, too. Never mind that my prize box is the refrigerator and the prize I want is a big bowl of hummus.
Don’t be jealous. It only takes 5 minutes to make! I’ll time you. Ready… set…
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs. tahini
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- salt to taste
- cayenne to taste (I would start small with ¼ teaspoon)
- Put chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne in a food processor. Process until a thick paste forms.
- Add the oil (streaming it in while the food processor is running seems to work best) and continue to add 1 tbs. of water at a time, until the consistency smooth and spreadable.
- Sprinkle extra cayenne on top for more spice, and feta to cool things down!
A quick word about tahini: it’s sesame paste. You can buy it at Cub or other run-of-the-mill grocery stores (just ask a knowledgeable salesperson to help you find it). It costs about 5-10$ for a jar, and the jar will last you for many batches of hummus. If you don’t have it, and don’t want to buy it, use peanut butter or omit it altogether.
And FYI – as of today, I’m now accepting gift card donations to all major coffee shops. My students say thank you.
- - eCookbook with our top 25 recipes
- - Email Updates for new recipes
- - Exclusive discounts on our products