This 30 Minute Healthy Broccoli Cheese Rice is made from scratch – just a few simple ingredients for a creamy, broccoli-licious meal!
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (I used a brown rice blend from Costco – love it)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup broth as needed
- 1 14-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- crushed almonds for topping
- sliced green onions for topping
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Bring a small pot of water to boil (enough to cover the broccoli). Add the broccoli, cook for 1 minute or until the broccoli turns bright green, and remove from heat immediately. Drain and transfer to a bowl of very cold water. This keeps the broccoli bright green and pretty.
- In a deep pot, melt the butter. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the almond meal and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes (it will be thick and clumpy). Add the milk a little bit at a time, whisking after each addition to smooth out the sauce and letting the mixture simmer until thickened slightly. Add half of the cheese and stir until melted.
- Chop the cooked broccoli into fine bits, leaving a few larger florets (just for a more interesting texture). Stir the broccoli, cooked rice, white beans, and any additional broth or milk as needed until the mixture is well combined. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover the pan until the cheese is melted. Top with almonds and green onions and season with more salt and pepper.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheese rice, healthy broccoli cheese rice, broccoli and cheese