These caramelized brussels sprouts with a simple maple orange glaze take just 20 minutes from start to finish and pack a little nutrition punch.
- 6 slices bacon
- 20 brussels sprouts
- juice of one navel orange (I got about 1/4 cup)
- 1 shallot, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons cane vinegar (any kind would work)
- 2 teaspoons real maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Parmesan for topping
- Remove the base of the brussels sprout by cutting off just the very bottom part of the stem (it’s white). If you cut too much off, the leaves will fall apart, so be careful. Slice the brussels sprouts in half as pictured and set aside.
- Puree the orange juice, shallot, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, maple syrup, and salt in a food processor until a smooth sauce forms. Taste and adjust if you want more of a certain flavor. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon according to package directions until crispy. Drain on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces. Pour the hot grease into a small heatproof container and set aside.
- Return the same pan to medium high heat and add the brussels sprouts to the pan, cut side down. Drizzle with a little bit of the reserved bacon grease (1-2 teaspoons) and gently push the brussels sprouts around in the pan, keeping them cut side down. You might need to do it twice depending on how many you can fit in your pan at one time. After about five minutes, when the brussels sprouts have browned slightly on the cut side and the pan is hot, pour the sauce in with the brussels sprouts. It will sizzle like crazy; that’s perfect! Pick the pan up by the handle(s) and shake it a little bit so that the brussels sprouts move around in the pan. They burn easily, especially once the sugars are there, so do this quickly (1 minute or less) and remove from heat when you have the right amount of caramelization. Toss with the reserved bacon and Parmesan cheese. Yummay!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brussels sprouts, caramelized brussels sprouts, brussels sprout recipe, orange glaze