These easy chocolate chip cookie brownies have my very favorite chocolate chip cookie dough baked into the top layer of decadent, fudgy brownies.
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup, very soft)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 18.9 ounce brownie mix – my all-time favorite is Ghirardelli Double Chocolate – this is also a great brownie recipe but I found it more difficult to bake evenly when I made my brownies from scratch
- (eggs, oil, and water for brownie mix)
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars in a small mixing bowl. Add vanilla and egg; cream again until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir gently until incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare brownie batter as directed. Pour batter into a glass 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish. Scatter pieces of cookie dough over the top of the brownie batter. In my 8×8 square pan, I was able to get about 2/3 of the cookie dough to fit over the brownies and I just saved the rest for regular cookies. Press gently on the dough just until it starts to sink down into the batter a little bit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (35 for gooey, 40 or more for fully baked), covering with foil if you need to keep the cookies from getting too brown on top. Let stand for 15-20 minutes and cut into pieces for serving.
Beware of taking these out too early because the cookies look brown – usually when I do that, the brownies are still underdone and they sink down in the middle. I found that it was easiest to alternate baking them covered and uncovered. I did the first 20 minutes uncovered, the next 10 minutes covered, and the last 5 minutes uncovered. This allows the brownies to bake without the cookies getting too brown. I’ve also taken foil and just made a cover around the edges so the middle can bake without burning the tops of the edges.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie brownies, cookie brownies, brownie recipe