Coconut Lime Grilled Chicken Bowls! Grilled marinated chicken, fluffy rice, and excessive handfuls of mint and cilantro, finished off with a generous drizzling of big and flavorful creamy coconut lime sauce.
Coconut Lime Sauce
- juice and zest of 2-3 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (solid / creamy stuff in a can for a creamier sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste (or fresh grated lemongrass, if you have access!)
- half a jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic
- small bundle of fresh cilantro
- small bundle of fresh mint
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- rice for serving
- vegetables for serving
- Sauce: Pulse all sauce ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Chicken: Pour about half of the sauce over the chicken and allow to marinade for 30 minutes. (This 30 minute wait time is a good time to make some rice!)
- Chicken: Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Cook the chicken on both sides until browned and fully cooked. Allow to rest for a few minutes.
- To finish: Serve grilled chicken with rice and vegetables, and drizzle with remaining sauce.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
Sauce Consistency: The thickness and creaminess of your sauce is pretty dependent on the nature of your coconut milk. There can be so much variance between brands and even just from can to can, which you can see between our Instagram story videos, our photos, and our step by step videos. The good news is that regardless of texture, the sauce tastes *delicious.* And you can always boost the creaminess by adding more of the top / solid part of the coconut milk into the sauce.
Vegetarian / Vegan: Sub 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce for fish sauce, and serve on pan-fried tofu!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Thai-Inspired
Keywords: grilled chicken, grilling recipe, grilled chicken thighs, coconut sauce, coconut chicken, healthy summer dinner, rice bowls