These creamy Thai sweet potatoes and lentils are so healthy and so delicious! Made with cabbage, sweet potatoes, lentils, and tomatoes, just to name a few!
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled and diced.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2/3 cup regular coconut milk
- cilantro for topping
- salt to taste
- Pour lentils, broth, and sweet potatoes into a large pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 30-45 minutes, or until lentils and sweet potatoes are just barely done cooking. Add the turmeric, tomatoes and ginger to the pot and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet. Add garlic, onions, and jalapenos. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 10 minutes, or until cabbage is cooked through.
- Add cabbage to lentil pot and stir in coconut milk. Top with cilantro.
The turmeric is important because it helps with flavor, but also with bright yellow color. Without it, the color of the dish starts to look a little dull.