The most magnificent Golden Crispies for all the internet to enjoy! Panko breadcrumbs, crunchy fried onions, fresh herbs, and a bit of seasoning and these crunchy breadcrumbs are ready to grace just about any dish.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 sage leaves
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup crunchy fried onions, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sage and rosemary sprigs to the oil. The leaves should sizzle once they hit the oil. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Then transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Next, add the breadcrumbs to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown and toasty.
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl. Stir in the crunchy fried onions.
- Remove the rosemary leaves from the stem. Then, crumble the rosemary and sage with your fingers and add it to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Add in the parsley, thyme, garlic powder and salt and give everything a stir.
- Sprinkle on pasta dishes, salads, soups, or any dish that could use a crispy, crunchy topping.
When testing this recipe, we originally made a version with homemade fried shallots instead of the pre-packaged crunchy fried onions (that’s what you’ll see in the photo, and that’s how Samin does it). If you’d like to fry your own shallots, thinly slice 4 shallots. Heat 1/2 cup oil in a skillet, and add the shallots to the oil. Fry the shallots until golden brown. We recommend doing this in 2 batches. Then, remove from the shallots with a slotted spoon and transfer to a sheet pan or plate lined with paper towel. For the final version we went with the store-bought onions because we thought it tasted just as good and took much less time.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade breadcrumbs, breadcrumb recipe, golden breadcrumbs