This healthier version of General Tso’s Chicken is a winner! Recipe from America’s Test Kitchen’s new cookbook. Just like takeout!
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 5 cups (5 ounces) Kellogg’s Corn Flakes cereal, finely crushed
- 1 1⁄2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, top with wire rack, and spray rack with oil spray. Spread flour into shallow dish. Whisk egg whites until foamy in second shallow dish. Spread Corn Flakes crumbs into third shallow dish. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Working in batches, dredge chicken in flour, dip in egg whites, then coat with Corn Flakes, pressing gently to adhere; lay on prepared wire rack.
- Spray chicken with oil spray. Bake until chicken registers 160 degrees and coating is brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk water, soy sauce, apricot jam, hoisin, corn- starch, and vinegar together in bowl. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in soy sauce mixture, bring to simmer, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.
- When chicken is cooked, return sauce to simmer over medium-low heat. Add cooked chicken and toss to coat. Serve.
I baked my chicken directly on the baking sheet because I didn’t have a wire rack. It worked fine. I’d also recommend using a blender or food processor to crush the corn flakes into very fine crumbs.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: healthy general tso's chicken, general tso's chicken, healthier general tso's