These Healthy Cinnamon Sugar Apple Muffins use whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and less sugar to make for a healthy, cozy fall treat!
For the apple muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples (I used Pink Lady // with peel is great!)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (I used double acting)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
For the crunchy topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- To prep ingredients: Microwave or heat the coconut oil until it’s liquified. Repeat the same process for the milk to bring it to room temperature. (If you don’t do this, the coconut oil will clump together when it mixes with the cold milk.) Add the vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes to turn into “buttermilk” – or just use real buttermilk instead!
- For the muffins: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the coconut oil, buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and allspice. Stir until just combined. Fold in the apples. Scoop the mixture into a greased or lined muffin tin – mini, regular, or jumbo sizes will all work.
- For the topping: Melt the butter for the topping. Add the sugar and cinnamon; spoon over the tops of the muffins. You only need a little bit to get the crunchy top effect, but if you love those crunchy cinnamon sugar tops, I’d suggest making twice or three times as much topping as what’s listed here.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes, more or less by a few minutes depending on size. The muffins should be golden brown with big round tops that spring back when you press them.
These are intended to be less sweet than a traditional muffin and very simply flavored. There is one teaspoon of allspice (which carries some cinnamony flavors) in the batter, but if you are looking for more flavor, add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cinnamon apple muffins, cinnamon sugar apple muffins, apple muffins