- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil*
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, coconut oil, chicken fat, or any other fat that will solidify at room temperature, melted
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pumpkin, peanut butter, eggs, and oil in a bowl. Add in baking soda and whole wheat flour. Stir until a stiff dough forms. Knead dough or mix just until flour is incorporated.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin and use a cookie cutter to cut out dog bone shapes, or just bake into little circles like cookies. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the bacon grease and peanut butter until very smooth. Drizzle over the treats and cool till glaze hardens (it does best in the fridge or freezer).
We just used a basic canola oil, but we also give Sage coconut oil for her fur/skin, and I think coconut oil would work nicely here. You can also use coconut oil in place of the bacon grease in the glaze, but, I mean, come on. It’s bacon grease. SO YUMMY.
Thank you to the readers who have mentioned the issue with using bacon fat for dogs. A trace amount of bacon grease (two tablespoons divided amongst 30 biscuits = less than 1 gram of bacon fat per serving) shouldn’t be a concern. Of course, we’re not veterinarians over here, so please check with your vet or use an alternative type of oil if you are concerned.