Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats – creamy ricotta, spaghetti squash, garlic kale, Parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and a quick simmer tomato sauce. Easy, healthy, and SO delicious!
For the Filling:
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3–4 cups baby kale
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1–2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of Italian seasonings like oregano, parsley, and basil
- a few glugs of red wine and/or a splash of red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Squash: Preheat the oven to 350. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place the squash cut-side up in a baking dish and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes. Pull the squash strings out with a fork and transfer to a large mixing bowl (be careful since you’ll want to preserve the squash shells to use as the “boats”). The squash strings should look like spaghetti.
- Sauce: Meanwhile, while the squash is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes until just fragrant (not browned). Add the turkey and cook, stirring frequently and breaking the meat apart into small pieces until fully cooked. Add the tomatoes, salt, seasonings, red wine, and vinegar. Simmer for 20 minutes or so (until the squash is done). Add broth to thin out the sauce if needed.
- Filling: Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and kale, stirring until the kale is just wilted. Combine the kale in a small bowl with the ricotta, salt, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Add the cooked spaghetti squash and stir to combine.
- Arrange: Fill the boats with the spaghetti squash mixture and top with tomato sauce and remaining shredded cheese. Bump the temperature up to about 425 and bake for another 10-15 minutes to get the cheese nice and melty. Top with Parmesan, olive oil, parsley, and salt and pepper.
We were able to reserve about half of the tomato sauce in the freezer for future use, which was awesome.
Nutrition information is for four servings, and it includes half of the sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired
Keywords: spaghetti squash lasagna, lasagna boats, squash lasagna