White Bean Artichoke Basil Toasts – a tangy, fresh 10 minute artichoke and basil salad loaded on whole wheat toast. Vegan.
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas or white beans, rinsed and drained
- a handful of fresh basil
- juice of one lemon (or two, if you love tangy like me!)
- a generous drizzle of good quality olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 heaping cup canned or jarred artichoke hearts, drained
- about 2 cups fresh baby spinach or other greens
- 10 small pieces of whole wheat bread, toasted
- Pulse the garlic and chickpeas and about half of the basil in a food processor until finely minced and crumbly (see picture in post).
- Cut the remaining basil into ribbons and chop the artichokes. Toss the chickpea mixture with the lemon, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper, and artichoke hearts. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Add the spinach or greens just before serving. Serve on the toasted bread. You can also serve this with chips or in a wrap… endless possibilities, really.
If you’re going to save some of the mixture for later, save the spinach separately and add it in just before serving, otherwise it will start to get soggy in the fridge.
For the nutrition label, I used 1/3 cup olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.