A simple 5 ingredient tomato soup made with butter, onion, and canned San Marzano tomatoes. Based on the Marcella Hazan tomato sauce recipe. This hits the cozy vibes just right.
5 Ingredient Tomato Soup:
- two 28-ounce cans San Marzano tomatoes (whole or crushed will work – I usually use whole tomatoes, and we use the DeLallo brand!)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) salted butter
- 1 yellow onion, peel removed and cut into 4 chunks
- 3–4 cloves smashed garlic (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Make the Tomato Soup: Put the tomatoes, butter, and onion in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring it up to a low bubble, then turn the heat to medium low. Cover partially with a lid; let it simmer for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes or so to prevent scorching on the bottom.
- Remove Onion Chunks: Remove the onion pieces using tongs. I leave the garlic in there, but that’s up to you!
- Blend the Tomato Soup: Using an immersion blender, blend up the soup until it’s a smooth as you want it. Taste and adjust; you can thin it out with milk, water, broth, cream, whatever you want; I just leave it as-is!
- Serve: Serve tomato soup with garlic bread, grilled cheese, croutons, crackers, pesto, whatever you like!
To make this in the Instant Pot: Everything goes in the pot, cook for 20 minutes, and release pressure. Remove onion chunks and blend! The advantage of this method is that you don’t have to babysit it – you can just leave it alone and it won’t burn. Very hands-off. That said, I feel like the flavor of the stovetop version is just slightly sweeter and richer because you get a bit more caramelization, but both methods are amazing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tomato soup, easy tomato soup, instant pot tomato soup, san marzano tomatoes