A creamy, tangy, luscious, and SUPER easy take on vodka pasta – and vegan!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 pound rotini (or any pasta, but rotini is fun)
- a little bit of reserved pasta water
- 1 teaspoons salt
- season to taste with more salt, black pepper, olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic salt, etc.
- Heat the olive oil over low heat. Add the garlic, and saute until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until the tomato paste is a deep red color.
- Add the vodka – let it sizzle out. Add the coconut milk and salt. Let the mixture simmer a bit.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and toss with the sauce (and a little reserved pasta water to achieve desired consistency).
- Curl up with a bowl of this goodness and enjoy.
Garlic: Stir your garlic constantly, and keep the heat low! You don’t want browned garlic – it’s bitter. If you happen to step away for a minute and your garlic browns (happens to me all the time), I recommend starting over! Normally I wouldn’t be so particular, but in a recipe where there’s only five ingredients and the garlic carries so much of the flavor, you want it to be just right.
Pasta: I used whole wheat because this recipe is happening during Sugar Free January and I’m trying to limit refined grains!
Vodka: Add more if you want! I found this post really interesting when researching vodka pasta flavors, amounts, etc.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired