Back Pocket Stir Fry with Noodles – simplicity wins. Brown rice noodles with tofu and all kinds of colorful veggies for a quick and easy dinner! vegan, vegetarian.
Stir Fry Basics:
- 7 ounces brown rice noodles
- 1 14 oz package tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for sautéing
- 3–4 cup chopped vegetables (I used a pre-chopped fresh stir fry mix)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- peanuts, cilantro, and lime for serving
Shake-in-a-Jar Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2–3 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2–3 tablespoons white vinegar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili paste, to taste
- SAUCE: Shake all sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- NOODLES: Soak rice noodles in a bowl of warm water.
- TOFU: Press tofu with paper towels to remove water. Cut tofu into cubes. In a nonstick skillet over medium high heat, fry tofu with a little olive oil until golden brown. Add a little sauce to get a nice browned crust. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- VEGGIES: In the same pan, add veggies and garlic and another swish of oil. Stir fry over medium high heat until tender-crisp.
- ASSEMBLE: Drain the noodles. Add them to the pan with the veggies. Add about half the sauce and stir-fry until thoroughly mixed. Add tofu. Top with peanuts, cilantro, and lime.
The tofu takes a while to crisp up, so be patient! I think I sautéed mine for about 15 minutes to get a nice crispy exterior. Check out this post for more tofu deets.
My vegetable mix included red peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, bok choy, and pea pods. Broccoli would also be yummy.
You might have a little more sauce than you need… which makes it easy to fry up more noodles and veggies next time! 🙂 It should keep fine in the fridge for a week or two. I used about half my sauce for the recipe as written, and nutrition information includes only half of the sauce.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Keywords: stir fry with noodles, noodle stir fry, tofu stir fry