The very best Vegetarian Lasagna! Walnuts, zucchini, carrots, onions, and mushrooms blitzed up into a meat-like texture that gets layered with lots of cheese and sauce. Cozy + nourishing!
Easy Vegetarian “Bolognese”:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 small zucchini, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1–2 teaspoons kosher salt + black pepper to taste
- one 24-ounce jar of your favorite tomato sauce
- one 8-ounce container mascarpone
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 box uncooked lasagna noodles (about 12 noodles for a 9x13 pan)
- Place the mushrooms, walnuts, and zucchini in a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture is very finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat this process with garlic, onion, and carrots.
- Heat butter or olive oil over medium high heat. Add your chopped veggies along with the spices. Sauté for 7-10 minutes until very soft and fragrant. Add tomato sauce and salt; stir to combine. Taste and adjust! Your seasoning amounts will depend on your brand of sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix mascarpone cheese with grated garlic and salt.
- Start with spreading a layer of sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Then, layer in the following order for each layer: a few noodles, 1 cup sauce, a few dollops of mascarpone, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and repeat (I usually get 4 layers out of this amount). End with noodles, sauce, cheese, and dollops of extra sauce on top to make it pretty.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes to get the cheese browned on top. Let stand for 10 minutes or so, then cut and serve!
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegetarian lasagna, vegan lasagna, healthy lasagna, healthy lasagna, lasagna recipe