This Broccoli Cheese Soup is easy, creamy, and a perfect cozy classic. A silky-smooth soup base, little bites of just-right broccoli and carrots, and some sharp creamy cheddar cheese to finish it off.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli stems, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2–3 cups broccoli florets, chopped into very small pieces
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- an 8-ounce block of good quality extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Sauté garlic and onion: In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and broccoli stems; sauté until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Build your roux: Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter to the soup pot. When butter is melted, add flour to the pot. Cook over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, until flour is thickened. Slowly pour in the milk and half and half, whisking constantly. (It will start thick but eventually it will thin out and resemble a creamy soup base.) Continue to thin it out, gradually whisking in the broth. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, whisking occasionally to reincorporate the skin that may form.
- Add broccoli: When the soup base is thickened nicely, stir in the broccoli, carrots, and spices. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, until the broccoli bits are bright green and fork-tender.
- Add cheese: Transfer the pot off of heat and allow to cool slightly for a few minutes. Stir in most of the cheese until melted. Serve in bowls with a little extra cheese + a hunk of crusty bread for dunking – and yes, it’s okay to cry tears of cozy joy! This is a happy moment!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheese soup, broccoli cheddar soup, soup season, broccoli cheddar, Panera broccoli cheese soup