Seriously good Caprese Chicken with Smashed Potatoes! Chicken and sun dried tomatoes with melty cheese, balsamic drizzle, and fresh basil served with a mile-high stack of golden crispy little potato smashers.
For the Smashed Potatoes:
- 10–12 small red or gold potatoes
- olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- fresh parsley or chives
For the Chicken:
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (I like to cut 2 breasts lengthwise into thinner pieces to make a total of 4 pieces)
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- 6-ish roasted or sun dried tomatoes
- 2 ounces havarti cheese, in small slices (any cheese works – be flexible)
- fresh basil
- balsamic reduction (see notes)
- Cooking the Potatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover potatoes with water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, set timer for 10 minutes. Remove, drain, and allow to cool slightly.
- Smashing the Potatoes: One at a time, cover the potatoes with a clean dish towel. Mash gently it with your hand, holding it together so it doesn’t fall apart completely. Transfer to a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Cooking the Chicken: In an oven-safe skillet, heat a little oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides (but it doesn’t have to be cooked through). Top with the sun dried tomatoes and cheese slices. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and cheese is nice and melty.
- Serve: Top the chicken with basil and balsamic reduction. Serve with potatoes. Don’t forget your fancy drink BECAUSE YOU JUST MADE A MOMENT. Yum!
The balsamic reduction can be made by simmering about a cup of balsamic vinegar over medium heat in a small saucepan. When the liquid has reduced significantly and coats the back of a spoon, you can remove it from the heat. Voila! Balsamic drizzle for ya.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: caprese chicken, chicken and potatoes, smashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, chicken recipe