These Caramelized Banana Oat Muffins are made with whole grains and without refined sugar for a super satisfying and delicious breakfast.
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced (NOT overly ripe)
- 1 cup oats, pulsed through a food processor until coarse flour forms
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2–3 tablespoons raw honey or real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or real maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the bananas into rounds. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with nonstick cooking spray. Place the bananas on the baking sheet and bake for 5-10 minutes, flipping once and removing from the oven when the bananas are deep golden brown on the outside. Transfer to a bowl and mash the bananas with a wooden spoon.
- Break down the oats in a food processor until a flour-like meal is formed. This should yield a little more than 3/4 cup. Combine the oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the half and half, Greek yogurt, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and honey until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet to the dry. Stir around the bowl just 10 times until the batter is just barely combined (if you stir too much during this step, your muffins are going to have a gummy, chewy consistency). Fold the caramelized bananas into the mixture, stirring just 5 more times.
- Transfer the batter to a greased 6 or 12 cup muffin tin. Mix the topping ingredients together and spoon over the muffins. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the muffins are puffed slightly and spring back when you touch the tops.
Nutrition facts are for 6 muffins.
Store these muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American