This is a re-make of my most popular recipe, the Chicken Tamale Pie, made with Carnitas instead! Total comfort dinner food!
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 can cream corn
- 2–3 cups leftover carnitas
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded white cheese (Jack, White Cheddar, Pepperjack, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Stir in the oil until the mixture makes soft crumbs. Whisk in the milk and egg. Add the cream corn and green chiles and stir until just combined. Bake in a 9-inch square pan (or larger, depending on how thick you want it) for 25 minutes or until set. Since it’s a tamale-like base, it won’t be completely dry like a cornbread. It’s supposed to be just a little mushy.
- Poke holes in the crust with a fork. Pour the enchilada sauce over the crust. Squeeze or drain excess moisture out of the carnitas and arrange on top of the crust. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350. Cover with foil, return to oven, and bake for 20 minutes. When everything is heated through, remove foil and let bake for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with chopped cilantro, allow to cool for 5 minutes, and cut into slices or scoop into bowls.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Keywords: carnitas tamale pie, pork tamale pie, tamale pie