This cauliflower yellow lentil curry uses lentils or yellow split peas with tender-crisp cauliflower seasoned with yellow curry spices. Easy and healthy!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup curry paste (I used a red Thai curry paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth + 3 cups water
- 2 cups dry yellow lentils or yellow split peas
- 1 or more heads cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
- apricot or mango jam + cilantro for serving (be brave!)
- salt to taste
- Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger with the oil until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the curry paste, turmeric, and curry powder and stir fry for another 1 minute. Add the broth and water and whisk until incorporated. Bring to a boil.
- Add the lentils and simmer for 20-40 minutes. I left the pot uncovered (house smells amazing) and stopped by to stir every so often. Add more water or broth as necessary. Yellow split peas will take longer and, in my experience, they soak up more of the water so you might need to add more.
- When the lentils are done or almost done, add the cauliflower. There should be enough liquid left in the pan to boil/steam the cauliflower, so add some if you need it. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender-crisp. Stir to combine; season with salt and top with cilantro and jam.
I pureed one papaya into a smooth sauce and added it to the curry so it would be a bit more creamy, plus I love the sweet, fresh flavor it adds. If you want it more saucy, puree a sweet curry-complimenting fruit like papaya or mango and stir it in. Coconut milk would also be a perfect addition!