These little eggplant pizzas are baked slices of breaded eggplant topped with marinara and melted cheese. Simple, healthy, delicious!
- 1 large unpeeled eggplant, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1 cup tomato sauce (pizza, marinara, whatever you like)
- 1 cup shredded or sliced mozzarella cheese (can sub provolone or other cheese)
- toppings: fresh spinach, pepperoni, green pepper, Canadian bacon, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Press each slice of eggplant with paper towels to remove a little of the excess moisture. Put egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, then coat with breadcrumbs. Put on a baking sheet and drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp on one side. Turn each piece over, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil, and bake another 5-8 minutes.
- Top each slice with a little tomato sauce, cheese, and your toppings. Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
I found that it worked best to layer the toppings on top of the sauce and underneath the cheese.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired
Keywords: eggplant pizza, pizza recipe, vegetarian pizza, healthy pizza