Chicken Bacon Pumpkin Pasta Bake! Caramelized onions make for a rich and velvety pumpkin sauce to blanket that shredded chicken with love.
For the Pumpkin Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion
- a splash of white wine (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 18 ounces pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (or just ground)
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
For the Pasta:
- 1 lb. uncooked pasta
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Mozzarella or other white melty cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- crumbled, cooked bacon (as much or little as you want)
- parsley for topping
- Caramelize the onions: Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cut the onion into thin slices and add to the melted butter in the pan. Keeping the heat on medium-low, cook the onions until they are caramelized and deep golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. You can add a splash of white wine as they’re cooking to get a little extra sweetness.
- Make the sauce: Puree the garlic, pumpkin, chicken broth, milk, olive oil, salt, sage, nutmeg, and pepper in a blender until smooth. Add to the caramelized onions in the pan and cook until heated through.
- Prep pasta and chicken: Cook the pasta according to package directions, stopping a little early so they are still firm enough to hold their shape in the oven. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil and add the chicken, cooking for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink. Remove from the water; when cool enough to handle, shred the chicken.
- Assemble and bake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss the cooked pasta, chicken, and bacon with the pumpkin sauce and 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese. Transfer to a greased 9×13 baking dish, top with remaining cheese and cover with greased foil to prevent sticking. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and let stand a few minutes before serving.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken bacon pumpkin pasta, pumpkin pasta bake, bacon pumpkin pasta