These lettuce wraps are a SUMMER DREAM. Mountains of crumbled-crisp ground chicken, fluffy quinoa, and/or rice for added satisfaction, and garlicky gingery sautéed veggies in crisp butter lettuce leaves.
Lettuce Wraps and Filling
- 1 lb. ground chicken or pork (I prefer chicken)
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 1 zucchini, diced (optional)
- 1 carrot, diced (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup cooked brown rice and/or quinoa (see notes)
- lettuce (leaf lettuce, butter lettuce, or romaine can all work)
- spicy mayo (1/2 cup mayo + 2-3 tablespoons sriracha)
- juice of 5–6 limes (totaling 1/3 to 1/2 cup lime juice)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1–2 tablespoon brown sugar (more lime juice = more sugar)
- a teeny bit of your grated garlic and ginger from the filling prep
- In a large skillet, brown the chicken with a little bit of olive oil until fully cooked and crumbled.
- Set aside a little of your grated garlic and ginger for the lime drench. While the chicken is cooking, shake your lime drench ingredients in a jar.
- Add the remaining garlic and ginger, green onions, zucchini, and carrots to the chicken in the skillet. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables have softened and are very aromatic. (The chicken doesn’t have a lot of fat, so I often add an extra drizzle of oil, or soy sauce or even a bit of water to pull the flavor from the bottom of the pan.)
- Add the rice and quinoa to the filling. Cook until softened and heated through. Season to taste.
- Fill your lettuce cups with the filling, pour the lime drench over it, and top with a little thwap of spicy mayo. Voila! So many vegetables and SO MUCH FLAVOR.
Cooked rice and quinoa: I often use just a cup or so of the precooked packages like Seeds of Change (affiliate link) – and it’s optional to add this in, but I like it because it makes the lettuce wraps feel more satisfying since it adds a carb element to the mix.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian-inspired
Keywords: lettuce wraps, lime juice, ground chicken, healthy recipe, dinner recipe,