Chicken Meatballs with Peppers and Orzo! The BEST combo. Quick chicken meatballs, tangy tomato sauce with garlic and peppers, and a silky-creamy pile of hot orzo on the side.
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 cups sliced peppers (see notes)
- 1/4 cup capers (optional)
- 1 14-ounce can plain tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more or less to taste)
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo
- 1/4 cup of something creamy – I used mascarpone, but you could also use cream cheese, goat cheese, cream, or butter
- kosher salt, Parmesan, and parsley for finishing
- Meatballs: Mix meatball ingredients together. Roll into meatballs. Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add a swizzle of olive oil. Add meatballs and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauce: Add peppers and garlic to the same pan, plus a little more oil if you need it. Get all the yummy browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Sauce: Add meatballs back into the pan. Stir in tomato sauce and capers. Bring to a low simmer and let it hang out (add a little water if it gets too dry).
- Orzo: Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and toss with something creamy. Season with salt, Parmesan, and parsley.
- You’re Done: Plate and serve! Top with more Parmesan and parsley because you are just that fancy.
Peppers: I used mini peppers which are small and sweet! You can also use regular bell peppers if you cut them into thin strips or small pieces.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired
Keywords: chicken meatballs, orzo pasta, one pot meal, weeknight recipe, easy recipe