Chicken Tetrazzini: egg noodles, sautéed mushrooms, roast chicken all baked together with a béchamel sauce.
- one 3-pound rotisserie chicken, meat pulled and shredded
- 1 pound cooked egg noodles (I like the Alberto’s brand)
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms, sautéed
- 3–4 cups tetrazzini sauce (see below)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk or cream (I used 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 cup whole milk, but I think half and half would also work)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (more as needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the ingredients – pull the chicken, cook the noodles, sauté the mushrooms.
- Sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until incorporated. Cook for a few minutes to remove the floury taste. Slowly add the milk and broth, a little bit at a time, whisking after each addition until you get a nice, smooth, thickened sauce. Season with salt and stir in the wine. Taste and adjust – more salt, more wine, more broth to thin the sauce, etc.
- Assemble: Toss the noodles with about a cup of sauce. In a greased 9×13 pan, layer: sauced-up noodles, mushrooms, half of sauce, chicken, remaining half of sauce, and Parmesan.
- Bake: Bake for 30 minutes until melty and bubbly. Broil for 5 minutes to get the top browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste for serving. YUM-O.
Sprinkle with parsley when it comes out of the oven if you want to be fancy about it!
If making ahead, undercook the noodles a bit and assemble everything, but do not bake. It should freeze beautifully.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken tetrazzini, egg noodles with mushrooms, homemade chicken tetrazzini