Winner, winner, Chicken Tortilla Soup dinner! Tender chicken thighs, creamy pinto beans, garlic and onions, crushed tomatoes, jalapeño pepper, crushed tomatoes, and ALL the toppings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons cumin and/or chili powder (you can make this as spiced as you like)
- a pinch of Mexican oregano
- one 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- crispy tortilla strips, cilantro, cotija or sour cream for topping
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, and seasonings; sauté for about 5-10 minutes or until very soft and fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, chicken thighs, and salt. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken thighs are cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pot. When cool enough to handle, shred and chop into small bite-sized pieces. Stir back into the pot with the beans. Add more broth depending on how thin you like it. Top with EVERYTHING. Crispy tortilla strips, cilantro, cotija, crema, lime, etc.
Instant Pot Instructions: Heat the oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeño for 5-10 minutes until soft and fragrant. Add in the crushed tomatoes, broth, chicken thighs, and salt. Seal the lid and set the cook time to 15 minutes with 10 minutes of natural pressure release. Remove the chicken from the pot to shred. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup along with the pinto beans.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, tortilla soup, chicken tomato soup