These chili and cornbread waffle stacks start with a plate of delicious cornbread waffles, topped with chili and a fried egg. YUM.
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2–3 cups leftover chili (I used posole)
- 4 eggs
- Mix flours, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Add egg, buttermilk, and oil and whisk until just combined. If batter seems too thick, add a tablespoon or more of buttermilk.
- Heat a waffle iron and pour batter onto hot griddles. Cook until waffles are lightly crispy and golden brown on the outside. Keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Warm up chili on the stovetop. While chili is heating up, place a frying pan over medium heat. Crack 1-2 eggs at a time into the pan (depending on the size of your pan), keeping them separate. Allow to fry for 3-4 minutes or until the surface of the egg whites are cooked through. The middle should still be runny. I didn’t flip my eggs because they were cooked through already and I didn’t want to break the yolks, but you could flip and cook on the other side if you’re good at frying eggs. 🙂
- Stack waffles on a plate and top with a scoop of chili and a fried egg.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: waffle stack, cornbread, chili and cornbread