This Chopped Brussels Sprout Salad has chicken, toasted walnuts, and Parmesan with a homemade honey orange dressing. Super yummy!
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 4 cups sliced Brussels sprouts (for me it was about 20)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prep the salad: Prepare the chicken. Prepare the Brussels sprouts by very thinly slicing them with a mandoline. In a food processor, pulse the walnuts a few times until chopped. Place in a small skillet over medium high heat with no oil or butter and toast until golden brown, stirring or shaking constantly.
- Make the dressing: In the small skillet, saute the butter and onion over medium high heat until the onions are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a food processor. Add the orange juice, honey, and olive oil. Puree until smooth and creamy. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in the empty sautéed onion pan and place over high heat. Stir for 1-2 minutes until you can smell them and they turn bright green. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts, walnuts, chicken, and Parmesan.
- Toss the dressing and salad together. Serve warm or cold. If you plan to keep leftovers, keep the dressing separate.
You can also eat this salad with the raw shredded Brussels sprouts – just skip the step of sauteing them. I found that sauteing them slightly just brought out color and flavor and helped the texture soften just slightly.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chopped brussels sprouts salad, brussels sprouts salad, chicken and walnut salad