Corn Casserole all zazzed up! Bursty bites of cream-style corn and sweet corn plus garlic, bacon, and cheese throughout – so you know it’s really, really good!
- 1 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- one 15-ounce can corn, drained
- one 15-ounce can cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar
- Chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a pan over medium heat, fry the bacon pieces until crispy. Remove from the pan, but leave some of the bacon grease to sauté the onions. Add the onions and a sprinkle of salt to the pan and cook until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Take the pan off the heat. Chop the bacon into bits.
In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the sour cream, butter, and egg until smooth. Then, stir in the corn, cream corn, the onion mixture, half of the bacon. Add in the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
Pour into a greased casserole dish. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the cheese and remaining bacon. Bake for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle chopped chives over the top.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: corn casserole, corn souffle, casserole side dish