Creamy Green Shakshuka with Rice – 30 minute recipe made with cilantro, parsley, jalapeño, olive oil, almond milk, eggs, and rice. Breakfast, lunch, OR dinner!
For the Sauce Base:
- 1 full bunch of cilantro
- 1 full bunch of parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed for mild version
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- squeeze of lime juice
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup pistachios
For the Shakshuka:
- 1–2 cups almond milk (I used Almond Breeze’s Almondmilk Coconutmilk variety – the flavor was perfect for this!)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal whisked with 1 tablespoon almond milk (optional – for thickening)
- 4 eggs
- crumbly cheese like Cotija for topping
- rice, toast, or naan for serving (BUT FOR SURE RICE)
- Sauce Base: Pulse all the sauce base ingredients to get a sauce with a texture like pesto.
- Sauce Prep: In a skillet over medium high heat, add the sauce base and saute for a minute or two to soften the spicy bite of the garlic. Add the almond milk (start with 1 cup and add more as needed) and stir to mix together. Bring to a low simmer for a few minutes – you should end up with a creamy-looking green sauce. If your sauce looks overly watery, add the cornmeal / almond milk and keep simmering it – it should start to thicken up fairly quickly. At this point it’s a good idea to taste and season with additional salt. I ended up adding a few pinches both times I made it – just taste and adjust to your liking.
- Eggs: Turn the heat to low. Crack your eggs into the sauce, leaving room between each of them, and cover with a lid. Let the pan sit for 10 minutes or so (less for super soft yolk, more for hard yolk) and when the eggs are ready, serve over rice (our favorite!) with hot sauce and crumbly cheese. Yum!
The longer you simmer the sauce, the worse it will look. The color gets pretty weird after a while, so try to just simmer it long enough to get the flavors going but short enough to keep the green color.
The nutrition information includes one serving of white rice.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: shakshuka recipe, green shakshuka, shakshuka with rice