All hail this Creamy Mushroom Soup! Earthy mushrooms, velvety broth, onions and shallots, plus splashes of white wine and cream to finish. This is a good soup moment!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 16 ounces mushrooms, stems removed, very thinly sliced (see FAQs)
- 1–2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 3 cups broth (see notes for a quick homemade MUSHROOM broth option with your stems)
- 1/2–1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- just a bit of chopped fresh herbs
- Heat the butter and oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots; sauté for 10 minutes until soft, fragrant, and delicious. Add the garlic; sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour; stir to coat everything. It will be very thick and dry. Add the wine slowly, letting the mixture loosen up. Add the broth slowly, stirring to form a smooth-ish soup.
- Add the cream and the salt, pepper, and herbs. Don’t boil it, but if you can give it a little bit of time to just hang out over very low heat (or even off heat), that is ideal – the flavors get better with just a little time to sit. Then again, if you cannot wait (I often can’t), it’s also SO delicious right here, right now, right out of the pot.
Broth: If you have two extra seconds, make your own mushroom broth! It gives such a nice delicate but rich flavor to the whole thing. Add your mushroom stems + 2 roughly chopped carrot + 1 roughly chopped onion + 1 teaspoon salt to a pot. Cover with 4 cups of water. Simmer for about 30 minutes, then drain and reserve the liquid and discard the solids. YUM.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom soup, soup recipe, vegetarian soup