Creamy Parmesan Orecchiette! With roasted butternut squash and broccolini, tossed with a light Parmesan cream / thyme / garlic sauce and sprinkled with pumpkin seeds. Pasta perfection!
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1–2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 2–3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
For the Pasta:
- 16 ounces orecchiette (I used DeLallo whole wheat orecchiette)
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups broccolini
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- pumpkin seeds
- additional Parmesan cheese
- SAUCE: Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until soft. Add the flour and whisk until smooth – let it cook for a few minutes to avoid a floury taste. Add the wine and whisk to incorporate. Add the broth or milk, 1/2 cup at a time, and whisk to incorporate. When thickened slightly, add more liquid. Finish with the Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Sauce should be smooth and light.
- VEGETABLES: Place the veggies on two separate baking sheets. Drizzle with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes, until tender but not falling apart.
- PASTA: Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- FINISH: Toss everything together (sauce, pasta, vegetables, additional broth as needed to keep it loose) and top generously with pumpkin seeds and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: parmesan pasta, orecchiette, broccolini, squash