This Creamy Tomato Lasagna Florentine is so deliciously comforting and simple. Noodles, tomato sauce, and a creamy spinach layer!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4–5 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup ground flaxmeal (optional, see FAQs)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (mine was salty – if you’re using a non-salted variety, add an additional 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt)
- a very tiny dusting of nutmeg
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 12 no-boil or oven ready lasagna noodles
- 3–4 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the spinach and stir around until just barely wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Blend the cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and mix with eggs, flaxmeal, oregano, Italian seasoning, nutmeg, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese. Stir in the spinach and set aside.
- To assemble lasagna, spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and spread a few spoonfuls of sauce around in the bottom of the pan. Arrange 3 noodles, top with about 1 cup sauce, 1 cup creamy spinach mixture, and 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese. Repeat for three complete layers. Top it all off with the last three lasagna noodles, 1 cup sauce, and 1 cup Mozzarella cheese. Cover with greased foil so the cheese doesn’t stick and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 to brown the cheese (or turn on your broiler to get it browned). Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: lasagna florentine, tomato lasagna, vegetarian lasagna recipe