This Creamy Tomato Lasagna Florentine is so deliciously comforting and simple. Noodles, tomato sauce, and a creamy spinach layer!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4–5 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup ground flaxmeal (optional, see notes)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (mine was salty – if you’re using a non-salted variety, add an additional 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt)
- a very tiny dusting of nutmeg
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups tomato sauce (DeLallo Tomato Basil. DO IT.)
- 12 no-boil or oven ready lasagna noodles (see notes)
- 3–4 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the spinach and stir around until just barely wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Blend the cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until mostly smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and mix with eggs, flaxmeal, oregano, Italian seasoning, nutmeg, lemon juice, and Parmesan cheese. Stir in the spinach and set aside.
- To assemble lasagna, spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray and spread a few spoonfuls of sauce around in the bottom of the pan. Arrange 3 noodles, top with about 1 cup sauce, 1 cup creamy spinach mixture, and 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese. Repeat for three complete layers. Top it all off with the last three lasagna noodles, 1 cup sauce, and 1 cup Mozzarella cheese. Cover with greased foil so the cheese doesn’t stick and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 to brown the cheese (or turn on your broiler to get it browned). Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
The flaxmeal adds a nice flavor/texture and helps the lasagna hold together, but it’s not essential.
Freezer Meal Version
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces fresh spinach
- Mix with:
1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
- Layer and freeze in dish:
1 24-ounce jar of really good pasta sauce
10-12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Bake from frozen: 425 degrees for 75 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 10 minutes until bubbly and browned. Let stand for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Check out our full freezer meal posts with all recipes and instructions here!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: lasagna florentine, tomato lasagna, vegetarian lasagna recipe