Crispy Salted Tostones – super easy recipe for golden brown bites of perfection with just one ingredient: PLANTAINS! video demo in the post.
- 3 green plantains
- 1–2 cups vegetable oil
- sea salt to taste
- Magic Green Sauce for dipping
- Peel the plantains by making a vertical cut through the skin and peeling it back with your hands or the edge of a spoon (see video).
- Cut the plantains into 1-inch thick pieces. Heat a layer of oil in a heavy bottomed pan (see video to eyeball the amount).
- Fry the plantains in batches. When the plantains are starting to turn light golden brown, remove from the oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Smash each piece with the back of a wooden spoon – this gives you a flatter shape with rougher edges. Return to the frying pan and fry for an additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer back to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately, dipped in some kind of yummy sauce.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: tostones, salted tostones, tostone recipe