This creamy, “cheesy”, detox broccoli cheese soup has silky smooth texture and classic broccoli cheese flavor with exactly zero ingredients out of a can. Real food meets comfort food.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4-5 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets, in large pieces for easy removal
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups Almond Breeze Original Almondmilk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast – optional, see notes
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons sea salt
- croutons – see notes
- Make Soup Base: Heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the mirepoix, garlic, and potatoes. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add Broccoli: Add broccoli, vegetable broth, and almond milk. Simmer until bubbly and broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Blend Blend Blend: Using tongs, pull out most of the broccoli pieces and set aside. Blend the soup, sans broccoli, to a suuuper creamy, cheesy-looking consistency, and then add the broccoli and just pulse a few times to mix it in. This will likely need to be done in batches. Return to pot; stir in nutritional yeast and salt. Taste and adjust and serve!
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE THE MOST AMAZING CROUTONS: Heat 1/4 cup olive oil (more as needed) in a skillet over medium high heat. Add a clove of smashed garlic and let it hang out (WITHOUT browning) for a few minutes. Remove garlic. Add cubed bread (about 6 thick slices cut into chunks) and toss around in the pan until golden brown and chewy/crispy. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
FYI, I’ve also casually thrown a spoonful of pesto in there for good measure – it was Level 900 Awesome. Just saying.
If the blended soup looks too thick for you, just add an additional 1/2 cup or so of liquid.
Nutritional yeast is not necessary for texture, but it adds a yummy, salty, cheesy flavor and some extra vitamins, too.
Nutrition doesn’t include croutons.