These milk chocolate dulce de leche bars are layers of sweet perfection – shortbread, dulce de leche, and milk chocolate frosting. Dreamy.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375. Grease a 9×13 pan.
- Place the coconut, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. When melted, pour over the dry mixture and mix until a crumbly dough forms. Stirring with a rubber spatula helps spread the butter into the dry ingredients. Press into 9×13 pan and bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown and lightly set. Let crust cool completely.
- Heat sweetened condensed milk with butter (2 tbs) and light corn syrup for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Liquid should turn a deep beige color. Pour and spread sauce over cooled crust and bake for 12-14 minutes. The sauce will be a light golden brown color and there will be bubbles when you remove it from the oven. Cool completely or until sauce has set enough to frost over the top.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Pour over the bars and spread evenly.
Refrigerate for a period of time (I did mine overnight) to help the frosting set. Then store at room temperature for easiest cutting and serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dulce de leche bars, milk chocolate dulce de leche bars