Beautiful, chunky clusters of puppy chow with extra chocolate and peanut butter, and a coating of powdered sugar! Midwest summer bliss.
- 1 box rice Chex cereal (about 10 cups)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar (more as needed / desired)
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter at 30 second intervals until smooth and melted.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour chocolate over cereal – this recipe makes a very large batch so I do this in two big bowls.
- Use a wooden spoon to gently mix the cereal with the chocolate, being careful not to break the cereal.
- Place the chocolate coated cereal in the bag and add the powdered sugar over the top (yes, just dump it right in). Shake the bag gently to coat all the pieces with powdered sugar – personally I like to go for a wet/dry hybrid approach for optimal clustering, rather than an each-piece-individually-coated-and-dry approach.
- Transfer to a couple of baking sheets, or just lay it out on parchment paper to cool and set. Store this in the freezer for the best clustering and most satisfying crunch!
If the paper bag is weirding you out, that’s fine – just use a couple plastic Ziplock bags instead. (They are smaller so you’ll need to work in several small batches.)
Okay, I know that logically it makes more sense to put the powdered sugar in the bag first; however, I find that I get better clustering when I put the sugar on top of the cereal and shake to coat it that way.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: puppy chow, muddy buddies, chocolate dessert, peanut butter dessert, chex mix