These tempeh bowls are a true fall favorite! Massaged kale, sweet potatoes, roasty marinated maple-mustard tempeh, crunchy apple, and an unexpected pile of briney sauerkraut.
The Maple-Mustard Dressing:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup stone ground mustard
- 2–3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
The Bowl Stuff:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 blocks tempeh, cubed
- 3–4 cups kale, cut into small pieces
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- other toppings / add-ins: quinoa, crispy onions, pecans, apples, dried cranberries
- Make the dressing and marinate tempeh: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Shake dressing ingredients in a jar. Marinate the tempeh in about half of the dressing for about 30 minutes, or just while the oven heats up.
- Roast tempeh and sweet potato: Place marinated tempeh (with marinade) on a baking sheet. Add sweet potatoes to the other half of the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt, and roast for 25-30 minutes. When both are browned and roasted, toss the tempeh with a little more dressing so it soaks up lots of mapley-mustardy flavor.
- Get the kale all yummy: Pro tip: place the kale in the same bowl that the marinated tofu was in so it can grab onto all the leftover marinade in the bowl. Massage the kale with a little bit more dressing and the avocado, so the avocado kind of smashes into the dressing and makes it tender and a little bit creamy.
- Toss and serve: Toss up the roasted tempeh, sweet potato, kale, sauerkraut, in a big bowl with any other extras that you like. I mean, RIGHT?! It’s shockingly good.
Dressing: If you love dressing (I do), you may want to double up on the dressing amounts just to make sure you have enough for your leftovers.
- Category: Bowl
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tempeh recipe, tempeh bowl, vegan bowl recipe