These fresh blueberry tarts have a deliciously textured homemade crust and are packed full of fresh blueberry filling. The best summer dessert!
For the crust
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup bran cereal (added for texture; if omitting, add another 2 tbs. flour)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the filling
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, combine flour, bran, sugar, salt, and butter; process until large moist crumbs form.
- Spoon dough into individual tart pans. Press the dough into the tart pan and up the sides until firmly packed. Freeze for about 10 minutes. Prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Bring 1/4 cup water and 1 cup of berries to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer. Stir occasionally, until berries start to break down slightly (3-4 minutes).
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Stir into berry mixture. Add lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer and stir for 30 to 60 seconds, or until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in remaining fresh berries. Immediately pour hot berry mixture into cooled tart shell. Reserve a little berry mixture so you can go back and “pile” the tarts a bit higher once the filling has set slightly.
Sooo, that blueberry filling? Yeah, it’s pretty much dessert-worthy on its own. Forget the crust, for the tart pan, forget anything else in the world and just let me slurp up the fresh zingy blueberry filling for the rest of my life.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry tarts, homemade tart crust, tart recipe