Juicy, quick-marinated, Ginger Peanut Chicken on a bed of THE MOST LUSH coconut jasmine rice, with speckles of crunchy peanuts, bright fresh cilantro, and lime squeezes.
Ginger Peanut Chicken
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken thighs, fat trimmed, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (white parts and green parts separated)
- zest and juice of 1-2 limes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup spinach, bok choy, etc.
- 2 cups white or jasmine rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- a pinch of salt
- Marinate Chicken: In a stainless steel bowl, mix the chicken with the ginger, green onions (white parts), lime zest, brown sugar, salt, and oil. Marinate for 20 minutes-2 hours.
- Rice: Add the rice ingredients to an Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, followed by a natural pressure release for 10-15 minutes (it won’t be quite done yet after 3 minutes – it needs the rest time to finish cooking). Release the steam, fluff with a fork, and attempt not to eat the whole thing! (Don’t have an Instant Pot? Alternative methods are in the notes section!)
- Cook Chicken: Heat a large skillet (nonstick or cast iron work well) to medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken to the pan, working in 1-2 batches depending on the size of your pan. Leave the chicken sitting undisturbed for several minutes to get a nice caramelization on the chicken.
- Adding Extras: When all the chicken is cooked, turn the heat down slightly and add the peanuts and garlic to the pan. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to get the peanuts roasty and the garlic nice and fragrant.
- Finish by adding in the cilantro, green onion, and spinach. Squeeze lime juice into the pan and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over coconut rice! SO simple but so good.
To cook the coconut rice on the stove or in a rice cooker: Cooking the rice in a rice cooker or just on the stove top should work well. To make it on the stove, you can add 2 cups of rice, 1.5 cups of water, and a 14-ounce can of coconut milk to a large pot and bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling, you can reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook the rice for about 15-20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Keywords: ginger chicken, peanut chicken, coconut rice, easy chicken recipe