These gingerbread loaves are soft and moist and fluffy, and they make the house smell amazing. The lemon glaze is the perfect finishing touch!
- 2 scant cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tbs. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- (other spice options: nutmeg, allspice)
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated ginger soaked in 1-2 tablespoons hot water (or 3 tablespoons ginger paste such as Fresh Gourmet)
- juice of one lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter with sugar. Add eggs and beat until fluffy – about 2 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients (except lemon and powdered sugar) and mix until moistened.
- Divide the batter evenly between two greased loaf pans and bake for about 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of pan, until golden brown and the tops spring back when touched.
- After loaves have cooled completely, stir lemon juice with powdered sugar until a thick glaze forms. Spread over tops of loaves and allow to set.
Covering the bread with foil during the last 10 minutes will help the top not to get too brown as it bakes.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gingerbread loaf, lemon glaze, gingerbread bread