Homemade Brown Sugar Baked Beans! They are saucy, semi-creamy, brown sugar sweet + smoky bacon salty, and deliciously comforting. Five basic ingredients!
- 12 ounces bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 15-ounce cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- a generous pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup hot water (more as needed)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a large, oven-proof pot over medium high heat. When the bacon is browned (about 10 minutes), remove from heat.
- Add the onions and the beans on top of the bacon in the pot. Whisk the molasses, mustard, and pepper together and pour over everything. Add the hot water (I actually didn’t measure my water – I just poured water from the kettle until I started to see it under the beans).
- Bake for 30 minutes, stir, and bake for another 20-30 minutes. Continue this process until the beans are sticky and thick and deep golden brown (for me, it was about 1 1/2 hours total time in oven). Add water to adjust consistency as needed. Remove from the oven and stir in the brown sugar and salt to taste.
I didn’t drain the grease out of the pan after frying the bacon, but you definitely could get rid of SOME of it if you’re more health conscious than I was on this particular fourth of July holiday weekend. However, make sure to leave at least a little bit because the fat helps to bind the sauce together and make the whole thing sticky/saucy/wonderful.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked beans, bacon baked beans, sugar baked beans