A simple recipe for steel cut oats made easily in a rice cooker and topped with banana, honey, and almonds. Perfect breakfast!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal (or rolled oats – doesn’t really matter)
- 1/2 cup light bulgur (dry)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- honey, banana, sliced almonds, flax for topping
- Rinse the bulgur. Place both oats and bulgur in a rice cooker with water. Add the salt, cover, and let it cook until the rice cooker switches off (mine automatically switches off when all the water is absorbed). Check oats – add more water, stir, and cook for another 5 minutes if they’re too sticky or not soft enough.
- Stir in the cinnamon and milk. Serve topped with sliced banana, sliced almonds, honey, and flax.
The nutrition information includes 1/2 a banana, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, and 2 teaspoons flaxmeal per serving. If you want, you can soften the steel cut oats by soaking them overnight. Any kinds of grains will work for this – just check the cook time on them!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: honey oats, oatmeal recipe, steel cut oats