Homemade Gnocchi! Start making your very best fresh Italian at home. Serve it for dinner with sauces and toppings and you’ve got a party!
- 4 russet potatoes (2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 1/2 cups flour + 1/2 cup extra for work surfaces as needed (we use DeLallo Tipo 00 flour)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 heaping teaspoon salt
- Cook Potatoes: Add potatoes to a pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from water and let cool on towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Peel and Grate Potatoes: Remove the peels. Grate potatoes finely using a box grater (or, ideally, a potato ricer).
- Mix Dough: Mound potatoes on a clean work surface. Add flour, then ricotta, then egg, then salt. Whisk with a fork, starting in the center and working your way out. It will get crumbly.
- Knead Dough: Use your hands to gently bring the mixture together into a smooth dough. Don’t overmix it and don’t overflour it!
- Gnocchify: Form into a loaf. Cut the loaf into slices. Roll each slice into a rope. Cut rope into small pieces.
- Boil: Dust the small pieces with flour to prevent sticking. Working in batches, add the gnocchi to a pot of boiling water. When they rise to the top, remove with a slotted spoon. I usually put em in a bowl and toss with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Serve: Serve with sauce!
If grated potatoes look watery, place them on a clean towel or on paper bags to absorb the moisture. Keep in mind that potatoes do start to turn brown (oxidize) as they sit out, so don’t do this step TOO far ahead of time.
You can also add fork indentations to your gnocchi which gives them a fun texture and helps the sauce stick to them better. Just gently press the fork into the uncooked gnocchi pieces before boiling.
The best time to add flour is at the beginning and end. Don’t add too much flour while kneading, otherwise it will be tough.
Boil the gnocchi within 30-45 minutes of cutting it up, otherwise they will all stick together (BEEN THERE).
Shake off excess flour before boiling for best results!
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: homemade gnocchi, gnocchi recipe, easy gnocchi recipe